The National Cohesion and Integration Commission was established to facilitate and promote equality of opportunity, good relations, harmony and peaceful co-existence between persons of different ethnic and racial communities of Kenya and to advise the Government on all aspects thereof.
Pursuant to the provisions of Section 20 of the National Cohesion and Integration Act No.12 of 2008, the Commission intends to recruit a highly professional self-driven individual to fill the following vacant position:
Commission Secretary/CEO - (One vacant position)
Duration of contract
This is a Three (3) years contract renewable once.
Overall Job Summary
The Commission secretary/CEO is responsible for the provision of leadership in the development and implementation of strategies and structures to ensure overall achievement of the institutions objective. The Commission Secretary is also the accounting officer of the Commission.
Duties & Responsibilities
- Oversee the development and implementation of the Commission’s strategic plan, align the strategic plan with the directorates and departments functions to ensure efficient and effective operations in the Commission.
- Support the implementation of the constitutional and legal mandate of the Commission.
- Oversee coordination of programmes geared towards alleviating all forms of ethnic discrimination and promote diversity and knowledge creation, capacity building, advocacy and pertinent policy development to ensure achievement of a peaceful, united, harmonious and integrated Kenyan society.
- Oversee and ensure prudent financial management; adequate budgetary allocations; establishment of strict approvals and adherence to approved budgetary allocations.
- Oversee staff to ensure the Commission attains high level of professionalism and ethical standards in execution of its entire mandate, policies and programmes.
- Oversee the development and implementation of the Commission’s Annual Work Plans to support efficiency and effectiveness in the implementation of the Commission strategic plan within set timelines and quality
- Oversee the development and implementation of transparent and prudent procurement and operational processes that enhance efficiency in the utilisation of the Commission’s resources.
- Keep safe custody of the Commission key documents to ensure exposure only to authorized persons, ensure ease in accessibility when required and to sustain the institutional memory.
- Provide leadership in the recruitment of highly competent staff to ensure the Commission has the capabilities required to effectively deliver on the Commission’s mandate.
- Report to the Commissioners on all matters relating to the Commission to facilitate decision making.
- Build and manage good relations with key partners and stakeholders and act as the contact person for the stakeholders.
- Allocate work to the officers in the Commission based on the specific area of operations.
- Oversee performance management in the Commission and report on the performance of departments and sections to the Commissioners.
- Give input in the design of internal HR policies.
- Ensure staff compliance with public service values and ethics and implement the Commission’s code of conduct.
- Oversee transport and logistics management to ensure smooth flow of operations.
- Master’s degree in any relevant field from a University recognized in Kenya
- At least Eighteen (18) years’ experience, eight (8) of which should have been in a senior position that involves mapping out the strategic direction of comparable institution/ directorates
The Commission Secretary/CEO should possess the following attributes;
- Good work ethic
- Leadership skills
- Communication skills
- Interpersonal skills
- Organizational skills
- Ability to work under pressure
- Negotiation skills
- Ability to build and lead cohesive teams
- Problem solving skills
- Good skills in resource mobilization
Salary and benefits
Salary Scale : Ksh. 383,550 – 534,470
House Allowance: Ksh.80,000
Official transport and airtime will also be provided.
Applicants should present originals of the following documents during the interview if shortlisted:
(a) Kenyan National Identity Card/Passport;
(b) Academic and professional certificates and transcripts;
(c) Any other supporting documents and testimonials; and
(d) Valid and current clearances from the following bodies:
- Kenya Revenue Authority;
- Ethics and Anti-Corruption Commission;
- Higher Education Loans Board;
- Any of the Registered Credit Reference Bureaus;
- Directorate of Criminal Investigations (Police Clearance Certificate).
(v) Submit recommendations from relevant professional bodies (where applicable).
MODE OF APPLICATION
- Applicants may submit hard copy or online applications.
- All applications should be submitted together with detailed curriculum vitae, a copy of ID/Passport, copies of academic certificates, testimonials and any other relevant supporting documents.
- Hard copy applications should be submitted in a sealed envelope clearly marked:
“Application for the position of Commission Secretary/CEO and addressed to:
National Cohesion and Integration Commission
P.O Box 7055 -00100 Nairobi
KMA Centre 6th Floor
Mara Road, Upper Hill
iv Applications may be posted OR hand delivered and signed for at
the National Cohesion and Integration Commission offices located at KMA
Centre 6th Floor Mara Road, Upper Hill
v Online applications may be submitted via email to
All applications should reach the National Cohesion and Integration Commission
on or before 18th February, 2020 by 5.00 p.m. (East African Time).
Dr. Rev. Samuel Kobia